Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Liberals Don't Understand the Tea Parties.

I am a conservative right-wing political junky. I listen to news radio during the day while I work. I watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox News in the evenings and during my lunch break. I scan websites like DrudgeReport, DailyKOS, DemocracyNow!, FoxNews.com while I'm waiting for test results.

And with the exception of Fox News nearly every news source I've listened to for the last four days are blasting the Tea Parties (tax revolts) that have been organized all over the United States today. Except for Fox, they all say that these "conservatives" are unfairly protesting Democratic spending initiatives while having ignored massive increases in Federal spending that occurred during the hated "W"'s administration.

As an example, on CNN's website the following statements were made:
"Liberal tea party critics aren't buying it. They call the protests "Astroturf," saying they aren't real grassroots events, but are organized by old-fashioned Republican Party bosses."
Sorry, I'm not buying it. The Republican party couldn't organize itself out of a wet paper bag right now, it's in such a sad state. This is truly a grass-roots effort that started with CNBC's Rick Santelli ranting about government spending and transferring wealth to people and businesses that made bad decisions. Go to 912project.com if you don't believe me.

"The White House has plans to counter the tea party message with an event to remind Americans that the president cut taxes in the stimulus package."
Yes, but the President is certainly taking advantage of this situation to push a HUGE social agenda. I actually agree that temporarily that the government is going to have spend tax dollars in order to keep our economy from falling apart, but what he is doing is instituting HUGE legacy social programs that will continue to exist long after this crisis is over. Most fiscal conservatives are against this.

"In remarks in Washington on Wednesday, Obama said he'd been true to campaign promises to lessen the tax burden on most Americans."
To repeat, LESSENING the tax burden is a side-show element of the tea-parties. We are protesting indiscriminate and completely unaccountable government spending.

At least for myself, I acknowledge that a certain level of taxation is necessary to allow government to perform it's necessary functions. But I look at TARP, ARAP, and the Federal Budget proposal for 2009 and what I don't see is a significant investment in our infrastructure. Roads, bridges and dams are all falling apart and there is not nearly enough money for these VERY necessary and Constitutionally mandated government functions. But we seem to have plenty of money allocated to redesign our health care system.

1 comment:

Morgan Wolf said...

Ohhhh, now you did it! I am gong to nail your butt on this on my blog!!